Nappy rash is a common skin disorder affecting babies. In most cases, nappy rash can be treated effectively at home. Affected areas of a baby’s bottom will appear red, agitated, slightly rough and moist. Nappy rash can be quite painful for babies and may result in other symptoms such as restlessness, irritability and sleep interruptions.
Nappy rash is caused by a combination of factors including skin exposure to urine and faeces along with heat and chaffing. Leaving a wet nappy on a baby for long periods of time can make the nappy rash worse. However just having a nappy on for a long time is not the only cause of nappy rash. Skin sensitivity will vary between babies with some babies having very sensitive skin.
Mostly nappy rash can be treated at home. The best treatment is to protect the affected area with a zinc and castor oil barrier protection cream. By applying a thin layer of the cream to the affected area, the skin will be soothed, allowing healing to occur. The castor oil keeps wetness away whilst nourishing and softening the skin while zinc oxide is an excellent treatment.
• Use a barrier protection cream such as HERRON Baby Zinc and Castor Oil Cream.
• Change your baby’s nappy more frequently.
• Use disposable nappies which absorb moisture quickly.
• Only use soaps and baby wipes that do not contain alcohol (alcohol will sting and irritate baby’s skin).
• Do not dress your baby in tight clothing or plastic pants.
• Babies love bare bottoms! Allow your baby some fresh air whenever practical.
• Give pain relief such as paracetamol if necessary (always check the bottle to see how much to give to your baby).
HERRON Baby Zinc and Castor Oil Cream, should provide symptomatic within 24 hours. If
symptoms persist consult your healthcare professional.
Babies love bare bottoms! Allow your baby some fresh air whenever practical. Tight clothing or plastic pants will also increase the chance of nappy rash and skin irritation. It is important not to dress your baby in these sorts of clothes.
HERRON Zinc and Castor Oil Cream is ideal for sensitive skin as it contains no lanolin, colouring or fragrance. It can also be used to relieve other minor skin irritations such as eczema and chafed skin.